MONASTERY OF PANAGIA PROUSIOTISSA

Between the mountains of Chelidona and Kaliakouda, a legendary monastery balances on the lip of an eternal cliff, as it recounts the story of the Virgin’s travel from Bursa to fir covered Evrytania, in the arms of young man from Asia Minor. The miracles of the icon of the Virgin Mary, which was crafted by Luke the Evangelist, are countless and famous. Georgios Karaiskakis donated the silver cover for the icon when he wanted to be cured of his illness, while staying at the monastery half-way through the revolution. The Monastery consists of a domed cruciform church that dates to 1754 A.D. and a wing of cells, while the monastery also houses two guesthouses, a museum of ecclesiastic objects, and the museum of Greek letters of Roumeli.

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest
15°C
en_USEnglish

ORCHOMENUS

KARPENISI

THERMOPYLAE

DELPHI

THEBES

CHALKIDA

SKYROS